Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing 20: YouTube and Libraries

I was curious if there were any public library storytimes posted on YouTube and I found quite few. I watched a “storytime” YouTube video produced by the Rapid City Public Library http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdTeQs9T_q8 I know that librarians need to be careful about copyright laws and I’m wondering if Rapid City Public Library attained permission from the author before taping a reading of the book and posting it on YouTube. I can see how posting your library’s storytime on YouTube would be advantageous to your library (i.e. parents that cannot bring their kiddos to storytime due to work, conflicts, etc.), but as professional librarians we need take certain steps before posting a storytime on YouTube.

I also watched an awesome YouTube video by the New York Public Library (NYPL) title “Shout it Out for Your Library!” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3wMrnQCZU&feature=pyv&ad=3444367915&kw=library This YouTube video had various New York City celebrity residents talking about how important the NYPL is to them and to their community. I thought the video was very well done and definitely got the message to the viewer that the NYPL system is needed, loved, and should stay open.

No comments:

Post a Comment